How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49836
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hi Ben I asked a question about what process I need to follow

Customer Question

Hi Ben I asked a question about what process I need to follow to claim disability discrimination but the question no longer appears on the site.
I have put in a formal grievence. Do I need to see the grievence process through before putting in a tribunal claim?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. It is not a legal requirement to see the grievance process through before submitting in a discrimination claim. In fact you do not have to raise a grievance in the first place but it is advised that you do as legal action should be seen as a last resort. Your main concern is that the claim is submitted within the required time limit which is no later than 3 months from the date of the alleged discriminatory act. So if you are still pursuing the grievance and it has not been finalised before the deadline approaches you must make the claim regardless of the status of the grievance. Hope this answers your query?
JACUSTOMER-9yw6ceu0- :

Hi Ben,

JACUSTOMER-9yw6ceu0- :

Can you advise on next steps. I have said I will be willing to sign a settlement agreement but have had no response.

JACUSTOMER-9yw6ceu0- :

I have the grievence hearing on Thursday but i think i will also contact acas for early concilliation what are your thoughts

JACUSTOMER-9yw6ceu0- :


JACUSTOMER-9yw6ceu0- :

Can you recomend a good solicitor that would take on the caase on a no win no fee basis? I believe i have a good case.

Ben Jones : Whilst you can ask for a settlement agreement the employer does not have to consider it or agree to it...or even negotiate over it so it is up to them. So your next step will be ACAS because as mentioned you cannot make a tribunal claim before you contact them. As to solicitors, whilst we cannot recommend anyone as we are not allowed, not many employment lawyers work on a no win no fee basis but you will have to search around for one that may be willing to take it on. You should contact the Law Society to look for local solicitors to you that may be able to help
JACUSTOMER-9yw6ceu0- :

Thanks Ben. I will contact ACAS and see how i go

Ben Jones : You are welcome, best of luck