How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had a loan from Norton Finance in 1997 which included PPI

Customer Question

I had a loan from Norton Finance in 1997 which included PPI the money was loaned from G E MONEY through the brokers Norton Finance I contacted GE money and they say they cannot pay out because Norton Finance were the brokers and they ceased trading in 2006 Am I still able to claim this ppi?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know did you pay PPI to GE or was it part of the loan?
JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

it was paid as part of the loan

JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

Hi Alex I am available

JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

Hi Alex I have not received any comments from you

Alex Watts : Ok. But who was the PPI with, GE money or did the broker arrange it?
JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

The broker arranged it When we took the loan out we were not advised that commission was paid to the lender for selling the PPI they also told us we had to take out the cover for the loan to be approved could not buy insurance anywhere else hope this helps you

Alex Watts : Have you been to the ombudsman yet?
JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

no how do i do that?

Alex Watts :

What I would do is if they refuse to do anything and it appears they do is complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

You can do this online at:

Alex Watts :

They can investigate the complaint for you and are independent and free.

Alex Watts :

If they do not uphold your complaint then you can issue a claim in the County Court.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

Will I have to pay any court costs and also GE money did say that they do not settle claims that are over 10 years old am I right to proceed in this case as the the claim is older.

Alex Watts : If you go to court then yes there are court fees to pay.
Alex Watts : You can still claim PPI refund if you are still paying off the loan or it is within 6 years of repayment.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

So I will be unable to claim back ppi as this loan goes back to 1997 please advise

Alex Watts : If it was paid off totally in 1997 you will be out of time yes.
Alex Watts : Its 6 years from the date you made the last payment on the loan.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-zfg7i0eb- :

I think this loan was paid off about 2004 is that out of date for a claim

Alex Watts :

Yes it may be. But go to the Ombudsman, that is a free step

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: