How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We employed a reputable bespoke kitchen company to build us

This answer was rated:

We employed a reputable bespoke kitchen company to build us a new kitchen. We have already paid two-thirds of the cost - 11,550 including new appliances. The Director's carpenter fell ill, so he tried to do the work himself with disastrous results - great big filled gaps in the work top, and badly fitting joints everywhere, and badly fitting cupboard doors. Now he has left, leaving the kitchen unfinished and still demanding the final payment of 5,000. We did go away for a week on 26th October, and he offered to come to the house to finish the kitchen, but having seen the standard of work we declined to let him come. Now he is on to another job, and still insisting on our final payment. Advice please
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what the cost of finishing the work is?


As I have already stated, the Director is demanding 5,000 for an unfinished, and badly made kitchen. If he should come and finish it which we don't want as the work is so poor, he would demand an additional 1,200.00. yours, Susanna

Alex Watts : Have you got other quotes for making the work good and putting it right?

no other quotes, Susanna

Alex Watts : Thank you. I would get a number of quotes to put the work right and finish it. This then forms your loss. Also get the other companies to give a view and opinion on the standard of work. If this can be put in writing that would help.
Alex Watts : You then write to this kitchen company and say you are not making any further payment until the work is complete and to an acceptable standard. Otherwise say you will go to court.
Alex Watts : If they refuse then you can claim any difference for doing the work verses quotes.
Alex Watts : For example if it costs more than £5000 to put the existing work right and complete then that is what you can claim off the kitchen company.
Alex Watts : remember to get three quotes for getting the work done and pick the cheapest to minimise your loss.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund the differnce within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Thank you for your advice, but the point is, how do we cope with our kitchen fitter if he goes on and on demanding the 5,000 for an unfinished kitchen, which is the case at the moment. I do not want to try and get any remuneration from him out of the 11,550 we have already paid. Susanna


Should we suggest a compromise of 2,500? We do not want him to come back as we do not trust the standard of work. Susanna

Alex Watts :

He can demand all he wants, you can simply refuse to pay

Alex Watts :


Alex Watts :

He has not done a good job. So you get 3 quotes, pick the cheapest and then pay the kitchen company the difference, if any

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you