How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had a couple staying at my home as guests who became aggressive

This answer was rated:

I had a couple staying at my home as guests who became aggressive and verbally abuse and threatening by their 3rd day. They were not paying, just allowed to stay as they said they would become homeless. They have left a double mattress, chest of drawers and plastic dog bed behind which we have asked them in a nice text to remove. They have not shown up at the time stated. The police have been involved because of the threats of physical violence. What should I do with their remaining possessions? I don't want them here.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Can you not contact them?
What do they say about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I work with the man, but we have no contact professionally, just in the same office.

We were advised to only contact them by text. We have done this with a polite request that we needed their goods out. They replied with an extremely distressing and horrible text to my partner who has Mysathenia Gravis and cannot work.They have told us not to text them anymore as they said we were harassing them and they would go to the police. The Police attended last Sunday when he collected all their possessions except the 3 stated. This is also making me unwell and unable to go to work.

OK. It is probably best not to contact them again then or they probably will make a report of harassment.
Do you still have contact with the OIC?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OIC? sorry I don't know what this is.

Sorry, officer in the case?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's all with the police with an on going incident report but we are not sure if they have assigned anyone specifically to it . Apologises I worked it out what OIC was after I replied. This is causing me considerable stress so Im not thinking as quickly as I normally do.

No problem.
If this person is making allegations of harassment then it is probably best not to contact them. They will only make allegations to the police. People like that are very good at turning things around upon you by pretending to be the victim.
you could always ask the police to accept these items to return to them. Sometimes they will. If not ask them to contact them and ask them to collect on a specific date.
If all that fails then you are under a duty to keep these items for a reasonable period of time. In fairness, you are not describing the most expensive items so it would not be a prolonged period. I would suggest a month and no more. Then you are pretty much covered.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if after a month they still have not collected these items I can put the 2 items of furniture in an auction to sell and give the plastic dog bed to a charity shop. If not all items to a charity shop? Would they be able to bring a civil case against us for doing this and for initially bagging up their clothes and possessions for their collection under police supervision?

If they haven't collected after a month you can do as you wish with the items.
You can only do what is humanly possible. Nobody expects you to perform miracles.
They could sue you but you would have the defence of abandonment.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you