How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am presently a PR having obtained my ILR in June 2010 after

Customer Question

I am presently a PR having obtained my ILR in June 2010 after having stayed in UK for about 10 years. I returned to Malaysia in August 2010 when my wife then was suffering from an incurable degenerative brain condition for which there was no treatment. I resigned from my job as Occupational Physician, having worked continuously for almost 7 years, and returned to Malaysia. I kept my ILR valid by travelling to UK almost every year since my return to Malaysia in 2010. My wfe passed away in April 2013.
I remarried about a year ago and my former employer ( Preventative Healthcare Company Ltd, based in Maidstone, Kent) have offered me to rejoin the team which I have accepted.
I have a couple of assets in Uk , a flat in Essex and a detached house in Nottingham. I wish to bring my new wife and a 14 yr old stepson to be with me in UK.
I am now 65 yrs of age and wish to work till 70 and then to return to Malaysia for good.
My question is what type of Visa do my new wife and stepson require to stay with me while i am gainfully employed?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You may sponsor your wife and stepson for family settlement visas, you need to be earning at least £22,400 per annum to be able to sponsor your family for UK visas.
See here
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That I have already known.

What I want to know if instead of applying for settlement visa for indefinite stay could I apply for less demanding visa for my wife and stepson to be with me for a period of 5 years.

There are i understanf a settlent visa and another is just a visa to live with a settled person for a definite period.. The family visa as opposed to settlement visa is much less expensive and less demanding as regards ***** ***** Am I correct to say this.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
The only option is the settlement visa for the 5 years you are seeking to live in the UK. The other option which is less demanding is a family visit visa but that is only for visits of up to 6 months at a time.
May I help further?