How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi I'm making a workout DVD and I'm wanting to add music. If

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm making a workout DVD and I'm wanting to add music. If I add a DJ mix of songs will I be liable for copywriting charge?
You will need permission from the copyright owner of the derivative work I.e. The DJ mix will have a copyright owner and you should contact the copyright owner to see if they can allow you to use their work for free or whether there is a royalty payable.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It would be a mix from a DJ that I know but he would be remixing songs that he does not own. Would that class as his intellectual property or the song owner, even if he has changed the tempo etc?

If his work is significantly different from the original version, he will own copyright in the remix and can allow you to use his work royalty free.
However he may have infringed the copyright of the original copyright owner of the work if he remixed their work without permission.
Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you