How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi,My mother and I have had an agreement spanning back many

Customer Question

My mother and I have had an agreement spanning back many years that I would enable her to stay in her own home and care for her in return for a share in the property. I have lived here and paid rent for approximately 40 years.
It is also possible that she has also made an agreement with other siblings who own their own home, but have helped out with some of the bills.
Does she need to formalise this agreement in anyway, to ensure that these agreements are honoured.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I would strongly suggest that she makes a proper valid Will to provide for this Agreement with you as although there may not be a problem now when she is alive, everything could change if she were to pass away and your siblings could refuse to honour this agreement with you that she has made.

Although a handwritten Will is fine, it needs to be witnessed by 2 independent people who should put their names and addresses down when witnessing her signature.

May I help further?