How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My girlfriend and I are thinking of selling our individual

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend and I are thinking of selling our individual houses and purchasing one together. However, there is a large disparity in the relative capital that we will invest (circa 120k:60k) and I would like to know where we would stand should we separate further down the line. It is also possible that the house would be in my name only. Secondly, I have an additional property (buy to let) in my name only. Would that be taken into consideration upon separation?

Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The best way to deal with this disparity is by signing a Declaration of Trust making t clear what shares you will each have in the property - this is the case whoever is named as the owner.
Assuming that you do not marry and she never makes a financial contribution to the buy to let property then she will have no claim upon it
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you