How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If I have a court summons under one name, and change my name

This answer was rated:

If I have a court summons under one name, and change my name by deed poll before my court appearance, under which name will I be tried?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If you have changed your name by deed poll then the court would amend the charge sheet to your new name.
If it just that you are using another name then the court would try you under your own name.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would change name by deed poll. I do not want adverse publicity attached to my current name. So to clarify, If I change name by deed poll no reference my previous name would be made in court?

They would refer to your previous name and the press may report it.
But the court would amend the actual charge sheet.
What often does happen, if the press do become interested, is that they report as Y formerly known as X.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you