How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matt Jones Your Own Question
Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 671
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Matt Jones is online now

I am the freeholder of two properties. One which I own. The

Customer Question

I am the freeholder of two properties. One which I own. The second property was sold, is rented and managed by a letting agency. I have instructed the agency regarding a number of works which need to be carried out on the property and as per the lease should be carried out by the owners of the downstairs property which has been ignored. They are refusing to give me the contact details of the owner is this legal?
Also as the freeholder should I not have been involved in the sale in order for them to sign the lease. If so what does this mean regarding their lease.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nicola

Yes I am fine to wait.


Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hi I will try an help.
The letting agent is not the appropriate entity to serve a section 20 notice on and renders the notice invalid. you need to get the office copies from the Land registry which will show the freehold owners, and their address for service. You can obtain these from here
as t the lease requirements this depends on what the lease actually says. Very often the lease simply requires the landlord to be notified of the owner once the sale is completed, and sometimes the tenant need to sign a Deed of covenant promising to keep to the terms of the lease.
You need to check the terms of the lease but if they haven't complied then they are technically in breach of the lease. You should serve notice on them asking them to rectify their breach and to comply with the terms.