How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I took a rental garage with the London Borough of Southwark,

This answer was rated:

I took a rental garage with the London Borough of Southwark, they broke into my Garage and took all my property away without my knowledge and also rent the garage to another person. While am still their tenant and paying the rent. I approach them, they said it was a mistake they ask an agent to clear another garage next to me. What can I do now please
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What is the cost of replacement? Do they still have your goods please?

Customer: No, £15,000 is the estimate
Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. As this is over £10,000 you would need representation for trial as there are Court rules and procedures to follow. But sadly the documents, if destroyed can't be recovered.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: Please tell me what step should I take now, with the Council and should I sent them the list of the valuables or demand for the people that took me my valuables, what sort of letter should I write to them any Template format to use?
Alex Watts :

Are you able to see the above? You need to write and set out your losses, the cost of replacement and ask for a payment.

Alex Watts :

It is a letter before action, there is no template, you just need to set out the above clearly

Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** mean the web site, I will do as you said and I will get back to you soonest
Alex Watts :

Yes please do as I suggest

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today?

Customer: Thank you
Alex Watts :

A template can be found:

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: Nothing, except if you think of anything again , is really appalling and sad for local authority to do this.
Alex Watts :

I agree with you.

Alex Watts :

Can I ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you