How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello my ex girlfriend owes me £3000 I have sent her a letter

This answer was rated:

Hello my ex girlfriend owes me £3000 I have sent her a letter of intent can you please help ?
I have a letter from her saying that she owes me the money also bank statements and texts the money was lent to her to pay of payday loans.......
Yours Gabby
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I get my money back? If the case goes to court can I represent myself?

She admits that she owes me the money but says she cannot afford to pay me back!

I know that she has been on holiday..........she did offer to pay me £5 a month I am 59 years old I don't think I will live long enough to get all my money back!!!

Is she working?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she works full time....

If she refuses to pay then your only option is to sue.
It is a small claims court sum so it will be cheap enough to issue and you can self represent.
I don't think getting judgment will be particularly difficult here and she may well pay up immediately. People often do to avoid the CCJ.
If she does not though and just digs her heels in then getting the money may be a harder task. You can always send bailiffs in but there is cost in that. Another alternative is to apply for an attachment to earnings so there would be a reduction from her wages automatically. That tends to resolve the problem if a person is in full time work.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you