How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Vehicle registration. I have a Mercedes that I bought as an

Customer Question

Vehicle registration. I have a Mercedes that I bought as an unregistered demo vehicle in Germany in March 2008. At time of purchase extra to the price of the vehicle I also paid €9,400 approx' VAT deposit to the German tax authorities, although the vehicle has been used in Europe it has never been registered in Europe but in the Cook Islands. Is there a "low pain" way to now register this vehicle in the UK (or France), I have an address in both countries.
Since I paid the VAT deposit in Germany when I bought the vehicle I have always considered I paid VAT on the vehicle purchase but don't expect the tax office where ever I register the vehicle to see it this way.
The information at time of purchase was that the VAT deposit I paid would be refunded when the VAT was paid again on registration.
I'm working on the assumption there will be a fine for delayed Europe registration as the vehicle wasn't bought for export.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

As per the information above. The vehicle I purchased in 2008 has been used in Europe since time of purchase but has been registered in the Cook Islands. I now want to register the vehicle in the UK or France as I have an address in both countries. However, the vehicle wasn't bought for export so I'm sure that after 6 years since purchase this won't be straight forward.

The advice I want is: What is the easiest way for me register this vehicle in either of these countries with the least hassle and hopefully without a fine?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
When you say registered, you mean with the DVLA or with the tax office for VAT?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Exactly, registered with DVLA or the French authorities.

For this VAT has to be paid anyway. If I understand correctly I will have to pay the VAT again in the UK then reclaim the VAT I paid from the German tax office.

Hearsay information says there will be a large fine to pay because of the delay in registering the vehicle in Europe so I'm looking for factual information and the best advise on how to register the vehicle.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I can help with the DVLA issue but the VAT is a separate tax issue really. We do have a tax department and asking a question there shouldn't cost extra if you are on subscription.