How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My ex boyfriend is a gambling addict who over the course of

This answer was rated:

My ex boyfriend is a gambling addict who over the course of 2 years gambled his way through all of my savings and inheritance. I broke up with him after the last time.
I had his word that he would pay me what he owed me (Over £4000 in total) from his pay every week but he has failed to follow through with this.
Do I have a legal case where I could have a legal agreement that he has to pay it back?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Did he agree to pay before you gave it to him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He had removed money from my bank account and also on several occasions had gambled all of his wages, meaning that I had to solely cover bills and rent etc (we lived together).

Before we broke up he had promised to pay me back everything he owed, and again after we had broken up. He never asked to borrow money with the promise of paying it back, he just took it and promised me afterwards.

So did he agree to repay before or after you gave it to him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After I guess

That is not good news.
If he agreed to pay after then this is not a contract. It is just a broken promise which cannot be sued upon I'm afraid.
If you are saying that he removed money from your account without any permission then that is a theft based offence and could be reported to the police although they will not actually recover your money. That said, he may be keen to avoid that.
If it is just that you paid for him because he was irresponsible then I am afraid you cannot claim for that. That was just a decision that you made for which he is not responsible.
I am very sorry if this is bad news but I have to give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you