How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6682
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Hi I have contracted a builder to do a loft extension for me.

This answer was rated:

Hi I have contracted a builder to do a loft extension for me. He has unfortunately received a large deposit. He has now proven unreliable and some further investigation has turned out that he may be a complete sccam.
What can I do?
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you have a written agreement with the builder and have you asked for the deposit to be returned if he has failed to carry out work for you?

Customer: The original timeframe envisaged was 10-12 weeks. That was 5 weeks ago. Since then maybe 3 days of work were performed on the project. I have not yet asked him for money back. I will hopefully have a meeting with him tonight. we would agree a schedule of works with timeframes. However he has for the past 10 days avoided this meeting by giving me excuses. As I mentioned I have now a strong suspicion that he intends to defraud me of the deposit based on experiences of other people that have just come to light.
taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** not unreasonable for you now to say you have lost confidence and require a written agreement to set out that 'time is of the essence' and to put time scales on the project.

taratill :

You can contact trading standards to report the issue and to get a reference number as well which may make him realise you mean business.

taratill :

Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act he must do the agreed work with reasonable care and skill. You are enitled to agree timeframes in writing and if these are subsequently breached you would have a breach of contract claim.

taratill :

If he fails to meet you then you should write to him to ask him to agree to the timeframe.

taratill :

If he will not communicate then you can tell him you have lost confidence and get quotes for the value of the work he has done to date from other builders and ask for the deposit back less the value of the work. Ultmiately you may need to bring a breach of contract claim based upon the original verbally agreed time frame.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. thank you and all the best.

Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you