How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12198
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Good afternoon, I was wondering if someone can help. I used

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,
I was wondering if someone can help. I used to be a driving instructor with my own business. I had a website built a couple of years a go when I first started. I have never been able to use it and I went in for training and they couldn't get it to work. So I left it, In the last couple of months I have been receiving letters from a debt collectors saying they are going to take me to court. I have never received an invoice or letter from the website company. I spoke to debt collectors and they said they would talk to their clients and put my account on hold. Next thing I know another letter comes through about taking me to court. As you can probably guess I am not pleased. I do the debt collecting at work and know that you have to send out invoices and letters to the client and give them chance. The debt collectors I use wont chase anything more than a year old. But that's by the by. My driving school ceased trading last year. What do I do?
Thank you for your question.
It seems to me that they're trying to chase an alleged debt for a contract that was breached from the beginning as they couldn't get the website to work. Without even seeing the terms and conditions of contract I cannot conceive of any reason why they would be entitled to claim a fee from you for something that they didn't produce.
Write directly to the company explaining your position and copy in the debt collection agency at the same time. That is all you can do at this time. If they are unwise enought to take you to court you will have to enter appearance and lodge a defence.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you