How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
This answer was rated:

Can a foreign widow of a British citizen eligible for UK

Can a foreign widow of... Show More

Can a foreign widow of a British citizen eligible for UK residence permit /settlement visa?

The person concerned had come to UK with fiancé visa for 6 months initially and was given a 6 month extension following that period. She had married a British citizen who had died during this period. She had not applied for her spouse visa when she got married.

would she be able to apply for residency here

Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question

Is the person still in the UK?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

yes she is. She is in student visa at the moment as she had done her master's qualification.

Thank you.I would advise the person to apply for indefinite leave to remain using form SET(O) and explain that they were married to the deceased spouse who passed away before an application for further leave to remain as a spouse could be lodged.They should submit the marriage and death certificates as proof.This will be a discretionary application as the widow should have held leave to remain as a spouse really, not as a fiancée. Hope this helps