How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I bought a Vw Caddy van as a private sale i'd say 2 months

This answer was rated:

I bought a Vw Caddy van as a private sale i'd say 2 months ago now. 2 weeks into owning the vehicle the engine "blew up" as a result of the injectors over fuelling. Which would have been present at the time of purchase. I paid £7500 for the van and so far had a repair bill of £3500. Do I have any rights to claim back any money?
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Did you buy this from a dealer?


No, it was a private sale

LondonlawyerJ :

If you're buying second-hand goods from a private seller (someone who doesn't sell goods for all or part of their living), your rights are very weak compared with buying from a trader..

The only protection is that it's correctly described and the owner has the right to sell it (ie it belongs to him). Here, it really is a case of caveat emptor or "let the buyer beware".

So if the seller says nothing or little about the van and you buy it, then that's it. Even if it's shoddy, you weren't mis-sold, so have no comeback. Though if you were lied to you would have come back. The existence of a mechanical fault is not something you can use to claim money back from a private seller.

LondonlawyerJ :

One thing I would say is are yo sure he is a private seller. If you bought it through an advert/ebay etc. have a look to see if the same person seems to be regularly selling vehicles then he may in fact be selling as a business and then consumer protection rights would apply.


Ok, I will check on this. Thank you

LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you