How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son in law has been turned down for legal aid, he is not

This answer was rated:

My son in law has been turned down for legal aid, he is not in work and they are demanding £6500 from my daughter by 28th November, they have a child and can not genuinely afford this sort of money but have today been informed that non payment will incur a penalty of 6% per month until payment has been sent. There surely must be some sort of leeway can you please help.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can appeal the decision of the LAS. sometimes it is successful and sometimes not.
They do not usually demand payments in advance. Usually they allow you to pay monthly.
However, I know that they do apply surcharges.
His solicitor should have appealed it when legal aid was refused if that was an issue.
The only other alternative is to proceed without representation. If this is a Crown Court matte then a Judge is not likely to like that and may well suggest an appeal.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, it still does not address the fact that they really can't afford to pay this sort of money. Are they able to reclaim any money if they can prove hardship even after they have paid the first month's demand. Their solicitor as far as I'm aware has told them to re-submit the forms and they have been told by LAS that it is to late to review their situation.

No, but there are no magic wands I'm afraid. Whether it can be afforded comfortably or not, it is due unless you appeal.

I do understand. It is very unfair. But that is not a defence per se.