How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi I have just bought a new car from my neighbour I got

This answer was rated:

I have just bought a new car from my neighbour I got my V5 back from DVLA stating I am the new owner. I just applied for residential parking permit and I got this email response.
Can you help?
Dear Kristiana,
Thank you for your inquiry to our customer service team,
Unfortunately, our system will not allow us to issue a permit for a vehicle with outstanding Penalty Charge Notices (PCN).
I would recommend contacting your neighbour, and ask him to contact us to arrange payment for the outstanding PCN’s.
All PCN’s on vehicle registration T187 MKE must be paid before our system will allow us to issue a permit for the vehicle.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,
William Barker
Administration Assistant
Parking and Amenities
Gravesham Borough Council
Tel: 01474 33 70 00
Email: *****@******.***
Gravesham Borough Council – Connecting with the Community
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : for now please let me know whether you have asked the neighbour to pay the charge?
Customer: I asked and he has denied any outstanding parking tickets
Alex Watts : I would ask the council to confirm in writing the date and location of the PCN's
Alex Watts : You can then check with your neighbour that this was during his ownership.
Alex Watts : You can then ask him to pay them or if not you pay them and seek a refund.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Customer: So the council will not issue proceedings against my neighbour for outstanding tickets?
Customer: i have to pay the try and get back the money?
Customer: is the refund from the council ? Or neighbour ?
Alex Watts : The council may but clear
Alex Watts : clear
Alex Watts : clearly they won't issue you a permit until the PCN's are paid.
Alex Watts : you pay and then claim back from neighbour, but you need the date and location first
Customer: Ok I will request via reply email they sent me.. Do you have an example letter to send the council?
Alex Watts : You just need to request the details of the pcn
Customer: Thank you for your help...
Alex Watts : happy to help. Can I clairfy anything for you?
Customer: No you have answered my question..
Alex Watts : great, if I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today - the button should be at the bottom of the screen 😄
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you