How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi, I am a shorthold secured lease tennant and my central

Customer Question

I am a shorthold secured lease tennant and my central heating and hot water are failing intermittently and constantly. In the last month I have been without both heating and hot water at some point in every week, for up to four days at a time, and the letting agency and Landlord are being unresponsive.
I reported to the letting agency that I had no heating and hot water again this Friday, and received an email response that they would organise an engineer. An engineer has not been called all weekend.
What are my legal options? My aim is to cause as much disruption to the landlord as possible in an attempt to force him to replace the boiler.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What you should do is write to the Landlord and ask that he fix it within 7 days otherwise you will get someone to do it and sue him for the cost. Make sure you keep a copy and send it recorded delivery.

Alex Watts :

If the Landlord does not then get 3 quotes for putting it right, it may be that the boiler can be fixed. This forms your loss.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-agh09dss- :


JACUSTOMER-agh09dss- :

Hi, II waswas aware of this route but it means that I will be substantially out of

Alex Watts :

substantially out of.........?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: