How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71046
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My wife has foolishly stolen money from my son in law, although

This answer was rated:

My wife has foolishly stolen money from my son in law, although I have repaid the estimated value of the theft he has reported it to the police.
If it goes to court what sort of punishment can she expect for a first offence?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How much is involved please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They would probably offer a caution for a theft of that sum of money.
it is aggravated by the fact that it falls within the definition of a domestic but not really significantly.
If she admits the offence and he has bee repaid the sum in question then I would expect a caution.
If they do send it to court then a conditional discharge or a fine is likely to be the sentence unless there are hugely aggravating features that you haven't mentioned here.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you