How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71128
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How do I go about getting help and advice on how to get grant

This answer was rated:

How do I go about getting help and advice on how to get grant and representation form also probate I haven't got a clue where to begin I am an only child my dad presently passed leaving a house any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Do you have the will? Are you named executor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No will

Is your mother still alive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


If your father left the house and substantial assets (over £20,000) then you are going to need to apply to the Probate Registry for Letters of administration. The government have produced a few webpages which will guide you through the process. If you follow this link it will take you to the government website pages.

If there is no will then the estate passes under the rules of intestacy. If your mother is no longer alive then the estate passes in total to you.

That is a standard formality. Once you have the grant of probate/letters of administration, that is the authority that you will need to transfer the house, bank account contents and other assets into your name.

If you feel competent, there is is no reason why you cannot do this yourself or you can always instruct a solicitor to deal with the application for you. It is a relatively straightforward process but, if solicitors are not doing it for you, you will be required to attend an interview at the Probate Registry.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you