How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

My former employer Brent Council stopped paying my Pension

This answer was rated:

My former employer Brent Council stopped paying my Pension from August to May
they claimed that they sent a form for me to confirm I was still unemployed
(they sent it to my former address) I spent months on the phone and writing letters to
get my pension reinstated. They claimed it was Capita that messed things up. I tried everything to sort this, filled in the forms wrote letters ect. and thought it was over.
They have now started again by sending forms to my old address in order to stop my pension, they want me to fill in these forms every two months!!No one else has to do this.
After struggling with Brent/Capita I'm at my wit's end, they refused to pay me the interest on my ten month's pension. I am scared that this is going to be another long drawn out battle.
How can I get my pension reinstated and stop this harassment?
HI thanks for your question. Can you explain why is your employment is relevant to your pension? If you are eligible to draw an occupational pension it should be paid regardless of your other income. Can you explain a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have no idea why this is so. My employer stopped paying my pension for ten months August to May because they claimed that they sent me a form to confirm that I was alive and unemployed. They refused to pay me any interest on the ten months money they witheld. I did not get the form because they sent it to my previous address. I do not know of anyone else subjected to this ... I filled in 3 forms between May and July. They have been sending these forms every month to my previous address which I left over two years ago and which I informed them of in writing.

They now claim that I did not return a form in July which is a blatant lie.

I am sick of all the letters and phone calls I have to make to get money I worked for.

As I understand it Capita run the Local government scheme and you should start by making a former complaint to them. Their details should be avaiable from Brent if you do not already have them. You should make it clear in writing that it is a formal complaint
You could also speak to the Pension Advisory Service - see here -
if Capita do not deal with your complain satisfactorily then you can to the pensions ombudsman.
Obviously in theory you can sue for interest and so on but that would cost a lot and the ombudsman route is much more effective.
Senior Partner and other Law Specialists are ready to help you