How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35037
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my daughter,s husband is us citizen who has overstayed his

Customer Question

my daughter,s husband is us citizen who has overstayed his visa he has also been working here illegally he is now making her life hell and is attempting to sell everything she owns ahnd to take their children and to get the us embassy to pay for them to go back to the us he has no means to support them does nothing for them they are just a meal ticket what can she do to stop him
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
What is he trying to sell?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the children are 8,7,5 h e is intending to sell the contenets of her home which I her mother got for her as he does not provide

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Who is living in the property?
Are these threats he has made?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my daughter and her children live in the property and he is there to although he should not be he is making there lives unbearable andas he is here illegally there must be someone I can call to get him removed

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Is she willing to start divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes but she has very limited funds

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The first thing to say is that your daughter does not have to worry about the Embassy giving him money to fly the children to the States - it is a nonsense.
In fact they will not even give him money to get himself home.
he cannot take the children out of the country without her agreement or an Order form the Court - and no court will make such an Order.
With regard to selling items it is likely to be more threat than reality - but the only way that your daughter can stop this is by starting the divorce proceedings sooner rather than later.
She can deal with the forms herself
Within the proceedings she can then get the financial issues dealt with and should start by trying to discuss them with her ex using Family mediation
Please ask if you need further details