How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We have been subletting our flat to a third person (against

This answer was rated:

We have been subletting our flat to a third person (against our lease terms). Now they are being anti-social and we want them to move out but we do not know where we stand legally. This person has been physically and verbally abusive and we are concerned about damage to the property.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Do they share with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, we all live there together.

This person is no more than a lodger. Depending on the agreement you can give between one week and one months notice for them to leave and they must leave. If they don’t, you can lock them out provided you give them their belongings back. You do not have to get a court order.

There is a useful website which the government have put together which explains exactly the situation for people in your situation.

Here is the link

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We do not really have a specific agreement. She was staying with us as a friend and then begun to contribute to the rent. Does this impact how much notice we need to give?

It depends on what she sahres with you as you will see on the website. No more than one month