How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71156
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I purchased a used car, within a week it went faulty. The warranty

This answer was rated:

I purchased a used car, within a week it went faulty. The warranty the dealer provided would not cover the full cost of the work. The repairs cost £1200 and the warranty only covered £520, I am out of pocket £680, should the dealer pay me back this amount.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why will he not do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He stated the he could repair the car cheaper using cheaper or secondhand parts and wanted me to bring the vehicle back to him. Problem is that it's 150 to him from my home and the same back. So it's 6hr round trip. He would not pick up my expenses nor guarantee the repair would be done in a day. I then suggested if he supplied the parts to the garage, I would pay for the labour. Basically, he does not want to spend any money or if he is going to it will be as little as possible. I bought the vehicle on the 3rd November it broke two days later. He
Obviously he is liable for something under the Sale of Goods Act. The question is what is the remedy.
He is entitled to an attempt to repair the vehicle himself especially if the cost is substantially greater to have it done elsewhere. However, he should collect. The law is quite clear. You are not to be put to substantial inconvenience.
That said, the fact remains that he is refusing. Your options are basically to write the money off as a bad debt or sue. You may not need to but you will have to be willing to do so.
It is probably a good idea to send him a letter before action giving him 14 days to pay or make an arrangement to pay.
If he refuses or ignores you then issue against him here
and claim costs and interest.
It is very unlikely that you would need to sue if you did issue.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** he wants to pay anything, and it bothered me when he mentioned second hand parts, hence my offer. I had to pay out in the end because the vehicle was on a ramp in the garage and could not be moved until repaired.
I really just wanted to know what rights I had under the sale of goods act, because the warranty he gave did not cover the repair and the vehicle went faulty less than my having it a week.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Things have gone from bad to worse. Still no response from the trader, and the garage has now said that the handbrake cable on the left side of the rear of the vehicle is all ceased up and has Ben for some time. The handbrake shoes has crumples and the rear disc are worn below the legal limit. All will have to be replaced at a cost to me of over a grand because the warranty does not cover brakes. Surely there must be some responsibility take here by the dealer. I haven't even had the car a month, I had it for a week before I left the UK on holiday.
We'll, it is as I said.
He does have responsibility but if he refuses you will have to sue.