How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 822
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I am wanting to hand myself in for taking money from an expense

Customer Question

I am wanting to hand myself in for taking money from an expense account to pay my rent.
Over the past 2 years I have taken around £25k, I have no priors and was in a seriously bad situation at home with my mums bf abusing me and I had to get out of there. I have been seeing a psychiatrist and have attempted suicide before (after a miscarriage 2 years ago right before I stole the money) I'm petrified I will get to that point again, I've been fired from the job as I couldn't turn up and they will no doubt find out from the accounts. I don't eat, I can't sleep, I can't pay rent so am having to move back to my mums house with her bf. I really don't know what to do
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


What you should do is contact a specialist criminal solicitor and explain the situation fully to him and we will be able to advise you what to do and ho to minimise the consequences to you. You are in a high risk situation and run the risk of a prison sentence. Contacting a solicitor now may help you to avoid that. If you are i receipt of benefit or on a low income you will be entitled to free help under the legal aid scheme. There is little point in me telling you more than this on this forum when you need to instruct a solicitor in the usual face to face way.

JACUSTOMER-9e7hrf53- : Hi thankyou for the reply. Do you think it's likely I could get a plea deal? Having done the accounts I'm convinced some of that they do is illegal and many other people at the company have abused the expense system

Plea bargains are a bit of a myth in the English criminal system. If there is a deal to be done it needs to be made by a solicitor. If the company is engaged in illegal activities will they report you to the police? They may need to produce accounts to prove the case and just perhaps be reluctant to hand over accounts to the police. You can use this link to try to find a solicitor


I would be grateful if you would please rate my service as I will not get paid for helping you if you do not.