How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I live in a flat which is a converted house. The flat down

Customer Question

I live in a flat which is a converted house. The flat down below had a house fire in May and destroyed my flat and all its contents as well. I did not have contents insurance however citizen advice have said I should be able claim of his content insurance. Is this something i can do and if so is it worth trying.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What was the cause of the fire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have never been able to get any concrete information the properties are leesehold and the building insurance is the same company. I believe it was a log burner he had in the living room that blew out whilst he was in the shower. There were 3 motorbikes being stored in his living room. The fire has gone down as an accident that is all i have been told.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Even if you had insurance, because this incident is through no fault of your own, you don’t actually have to claim on it.

If he has insurance, you do not claim on his insurance but you claim from him and he passes it on to his insurance company.

If he doesn’t have insurance then you sue him personally although if he has no assets, he may end up bankrupt and you may get nothing.

That really is all there is to it.

If you decide to use solicitors, they should be able to recover their costs from him. Try to find one therefore that will do this on a no win no fee basis.

Can I clarify anything for you?