How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I was arrested for the first time and was charged with shop

Customer Question

I was arrested for the first time and was charged with shop lifting, I am a Jamaican citizen but I have my indefinite leave. The police at the station notified immigration about my arrest , the problem is i am supposed to be going to Jamaica on the 1st of December to the 15th to attend my grandmothers funeral but my court date is the 11th of December, I said this to the officer at the station and she said that if I leave the country I will probably. Not be able to come back in, I am also a student at university in my 1st year so I would need to come back, is she right even if I try to come back before the 11th to make my court date. Will they not let me back in?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.


My initial reaction is that the police officer was not telling you the truth but if you give me a moment I will check. I think you need to contact the court to tell them you will be out of the country for the time that hearing is listed. You will need to show airline tickets etc probably and I would strongly suggest you instruct a solicitor to represent you. It is possible that you may get legal aid although far from certain.


I think the officer was being malicious If you have ILR you can travel and return to the UK.

JACUSTOMER-6045brsl- : Yes I do have a solicitor and I am entitled to legal aid he was saying the same thing that you said to me, he is going to ask the court to push back my court date but he wanted me to double check with an immigration lawyer first before he took any action.

OK. Glad to hear that I agree with your solicitor. I would be grateful if you would please rate my answer as I will not get paid answering you if you do not.