How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my dad passed away. we had a house hale in his name and the

Customer Question

my dad passed away. we had a house hale in his name and the other half in my name.
I have 2 sisters and 1 brother, by law the house will be split 5/8. The house has been sold and I paid the for the house. 1 sister and my brother said that you paid for the house so as far as we are concered it is your money. I have an e-mail from my brother of what he said.
In the end my 2 sisters and 1 brother asked for the money, Which I gave them.
Will I be able to get the money back from my brother?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am a little confused.
Do you mean that you want to recover the money that you paid your brother for the share of the house that he was entitled to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



He said in the e-mail that he did not want the money because i paid for the house and then changed his mind.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but there is no basis on which you can recover the money.
He was entitled to change his mind and did so.
If you not paid him, and he had sued you for the funds then the email might have been decisive, but since you did pay him that is the end of the matter I am afraid
Please ask if you need further details