How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi We have an ex employee who is making up false allegations

This answer was rated:

Hi We have an ex employee who is making up false allegations against our care company, and due to the nature of our company looking after vulnerable adults, we are audited by our regulators who the both times have found no evidence of issues
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ex employee wants £2,300 as a payment, he was not entitled to this and is now on a vendatta against the company, he has made serious allegations of malpractise and we were audited by our regulators, who found nothing wrong. He keeps doing this and is now doing it anonyously to make it look as though there are more people making the complaints, and again our regulator audited us and found no evidence of wrong doing. We want to know if we can legally take action against him

Does he have any money?
Is he worth suing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really, but it may make him stop and that's the goal we just want him to stop lying, so a cease and desist

In principle it is a defamation. You could seek an order of the court not to repeat these specific assertions.
There is cost in doing that and if he is not worth suing then probably you won't recover and you need to be aware of that.
Another, much cheaper option, is to send this person a letter before action warning him of the laws of defamation and instructing him to desist. That is only about £100 plus VAT and it often is very effective.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can we appoint you to write the letter please

I am not allowed to do that under the rules of this site.
You would need to see a high street solicitor for a letter before action.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you