How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good morning,My son and his partner have a four year old

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
My son and his partner have a four year old son who lives with them.
Their relationship has broken down and they are thinking of going their separate ways. My son has done most of the caring for the child, ie ironing his school clothes, feeding/cooking for him and putting him to bed. He also has his own business, but has been able to tie this in with his work hours. His partner is often away abroad attending lectures on her hobby of horses, she is also on tablets to keep her sane. She does fly into rages every now and then, and my son takes the child to work with him to separate them. He adores his, son and would like to have sole custody of him, however he is quite prepared to allow the mother to spend time with the son.
Can you please tell us which way my son should go to achieve this?
Thank you.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What has been suggested so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be honest nothing, he needs to discuss this with the child's mother, but he wanted to be correct in his actions before it gets too involved.

They live on a farm, which was my home, and after my husband passed away after about six years I was lucky enough to re-marry and I moved away, leaving both my sons and their partners in separate houses there.

My son pays for my grandson to go to a private school nearby and he does the transport, next year the school fees will be more expensive and I will help my son with this cost.

Thank you Clare.

Jenny (Grandma!)

Does the mother expect to move far away - or stay local?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure, her family are in Northern England where she has a property which she has let out. When she goes away it has been Germany, and she did mention to my son that she may go out there. However, nothing is definite as the subject has not been discussed in depth yet. She could even stay local.


It is expected that parents are able to discuss how a child will share their time between them and agree the necessary arrangements (preferably signing a Parenting Plan) - using Family mediation if necessary
If no agreement can be reached the priority for the court is the stability and security of the child - and the fact that your son has been the main carer until now and will be remaining in the family home makes his case much stronger - and makes it more likely that the child will spend more time with him than with his mother
Your son may find this website helpful
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you