How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Capital Gains Tax. I have 6 acres of agricultural land attached

This answer was rated:

Capital Gains Tax.
I have 6 acres of agricultural land attached to the country cottage [my only residence] that my husband made over to me in 1997 after our separation in 1993. Some developers may be interested in this land as part of a larger parcel of my neighbours'. Is this sale subject to Capital gains Tax please? If so at what rate?
Many thanks, Diana.
Thank you for your question.
Yes, the sale of the agricultural land won't qualify for private residence relief so you'll pay capital gains tax at a rate of 18% if you are a basic rate tax payer. You'll get a personal allowance of £11,000 to set off against the gain.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you