How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, I am a naturalised British Citizen as is my sister.

Customer Question

I am a naturalised British Citizen as is my sister. My parents were born in 1947 and 1949 in what was East Pakistan and is now Bangladesh.
Both my parents are medical doctors and are fluent in English. Furthermore, my mother has been a frequent visitor to the UK over the last two decades and both have been recipients of multiple 10 year multi-entry visit visas. They have strictly abided by their visa conditions with respect to duration of stay. We are a relatively well off family and are capable of supporting ourselves financially by our own means and we have property, rent/mortgage free and owned outright, in the United Kingdom so we would not need recourse to public funds or social housing.
I recently discovered the topic of British Subjects. Is there any possibility of pursing citizenship, or Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter for my mother on that, or any other basis?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid if your parents were Pakistan citizens at birth, then they do not have a claim to British Subject status.
They may qualify for Tier 2 visas if they find employment in the UK and sponsorship from UK employers.
Otherwise I am afraid the multiple entry visas for visiting would be their best option to continue visiting the UK.
May I help further?