How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Hi I am a Uk citizen holding a British Passport residing in

This answer was rated:

Hi I am a Uk citizen holding a British Passport residing in Northern Ireland, I recently got legally married to my girlfriend in Northern Ireland where there was no requirement for a marriage visa who is a Canadian Citizen holding a Canadian Passport and has been residing in the Philippines until she traveled from there on September 4th 2014 to my full time residence in Uk flying to Dublin Ireland from Manila.
The situation with regards ***** ***** stay in the Uk is 6 months without the need for a visa... although i appreciate the point of entry was the Republic of Ireland where different rules apply. Further to that we would like to travel within Europe or maybe to the Philippines for Christmas and would really like to know if it is possible for us to do that and return to the Uk with my wife or perhaps you could advise me on how to proceed with this situation.
Many Thanks.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I would really like to get a response as soon as it is possible.... i am sure that you will be able to find a professional who will be able to assist with this matter

Thank you!


We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Are you stating that you wish to go on a trip around Europe and then return back to northern Ireland after the short visit?
Is there anything else you wish to know?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your reply ,
We would like to be either able to visit family in Germany or even have a trip to the Philippines for the Christmas break.
I am not sure whether immigration would allow my wife to return home when we return to either Dublin or a direct flight to UK.
Many Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again ,
Sorry i forgot to specify that we would be returning to Northern Ireland where i currently live..
Best Regards.
Thank you for your reply.
The issue with your wife is that because she would have only left the UK (Northern Ireland) a few weeks prior to re-entering the UK after the visit to Europe the immigration can ask her questions as to why she has returned so soon after leaving the UK and how long she intends to remain in the UK.
As you are aware Canadian nationals are issued with a visit visa upon arrival to the UK, they do not require to apply for a visit visa prior to entry, therefore when she returns to the UK after her Europe trip, the immigration officer will assess her situation again and then decide whether to grant her permission to enter the UK again as a visitor.
The best situation would be for her to apply as your spouse prior to returning to the UK from her current country of residence, you would need to ensure that you meet the requirements for a spouse visa allowing her to enter the UK and settle here. This would be the ideal visa for her to apply to if she wishes to remain in the UK permanently.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you once again for your reply,

The situation with my wife is that her point of entry was into the Republic of Ireland through Dublin Airport, we then traveled to Northern Ireland by road therefore as far as the UK immigration are concerned they currently have no knowledge of her being in the UK.

My wife is currently on a visit visa to Ireland for 90 days which will expire shortly. So my question is it possible in some way to be now able for her to enter the UK through immigration or have the period of stay extended to the permitted 6 months here in UK?

I would also like to know how many days would it be considered a reasonable time before she could return from the Philippines to the UK if she were to return home for now?

Best Regards.

Thank you for your reply. I apologise for the delay in reverting back to you.
Because Ireland is part of Europe , as you correctly stated UK would not have her as entering there due to the fact that they do not monitor entries in Ireland. If she was now to return to Northern Ireland then she would be issued with a 6 months visa as do all visitors.
In respect of extending the period of stay this would not be possible, due to the change in rules visitor visas can no longer be extended from the UK. The applicant would need to leave and then re-enter.
As a general rule of thumb, the UK would be happy for a visitor to spend no more than 6 months in the UK in any one year. Now this can be by way of shorter period of stay or by one long stay of 6 months. However, the caveat with short frequent visits is that the immigration officer can get suspicious and stop your wife and ask why is she visiting the UK so quickly after having left. The immigration officer can get suspicious and they have been known to deny entry to the UK for frequent visitors over a 6 months period. If she has got a valid excuse for example: she arrives to the UK stays here 3 weeks visits Europe for a week and then returns back to the UK, then the immigration officer would be understand that for someone who has come all the way from Canada is it reasonable for them to travel around Europe and then come to the UK after having initially arrived to the UK at the beginning of their visit ( especially if they have a family member in the UK).
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply,

I feel that you have been able to clarify everything more clearly.

Thank you for your assistance it has been a great help to us.

Kind regards.