How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex fiancé (Anthony) and i were together for 2.5 years and

This answer was rated:

My ex fiancé (Anthony) and i were together for 2.5 years and have a child together, although we never actually lived together due to both being in the military. He purchased a house 2 years ago that required substantial renovation, all interior removed and taken back to stonework; this house was to become 'our home' together, albeit only at weekends due to our different working locations during the week, and 12 months following this purchase I had our baby. As I had experience of the work required, and tools, I spent most weekends for several months working on the property; although the renovation work included that done by Anthony, and a number of tradesman, I did the majority of the work and also spent hours sourcing materials to reduce costs, although Anthony paid for them all. Anthony and I ended our relationship 4 months ago. He is now being incredibly difficult and acrimonious over our baby and due to this I would now like to see if I have any claim for the substantial time and effort I invested in renovating a house that was to be our home together prior to the split. The house is about 90% complete and the renovation work has probably added around £50,000 to date with approx £30,000 expenditure. Although the house and everything purchased for it was done so by Anthony is there anything I'm entitled to for the considerable work I completed on the property over a 10 month period?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The house was purchased Apr 13 for £110,000 with a £22,000 deposit and £88,000 mortgage. With work completed to date it would have an approximate value of £150-160K in it's current condition (90% complete). around £30,000 has been spent on the renovations and materials to date.
All deposit money was provided by Anthony and the house was purchased in his sole name.
Just to check - what kind of physical work did you do- apart from Project management?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Physically, and alone, I took down 4 old plaster and lath ceilings, cut up and removed a 3inch thick concrete floor, knocked through and exposed fireplaces, chiselled plaster and render away to bare stone, repointed stonework, laid bathroom tile flooring, laid stone kitchen floor, sanded beams throughout the house to remove old paint, cleared garden, and did many other small jobs together with Anthony. I also removed 8 tons of rubble through skip hire on my own and a further 10 tons with Anthony so it was a substantial renovation project involving stripping a 3 storey house back to bare stone, removing floors/ceilings and some internal walls.
It was in deed substantial - as was your contribution and it is clear that you only did this because your understanding was that you would have a share in the financial outcome.
On that basis you do have a financial claim on the equity - not 50% unless you also paid towards the mortgage and the materials - but certainly a percentage claim to reflect the work that you did.
You can read about such claims on these sites
However such claims are not easy and on that basis you shoudl consider trying to discuss this with your ex using Family mediation
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you