How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

hi I was involved in a minor collision and the other person

Customer Question

hi I was involved in a minor collision and the other person involved has through her insurance company issued legal action through the county court. I sustained dmage to my van and she suffered damage to her car.
I got her to obtain an estimate for any repairs to see the extent of the damage, she forwarded a bill for £350 but it included repairs to a door which was not damaged in this incident. The garage then invoiced her insurers nearly £1600 for the same work and because I refused to forward any details as I was being ripped off, a county court summons has been issued for the full amount.
I have the original estimate do I have a defence?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Do you admit fault for the accident?
JACUSTOMER-xrtkr8jm- :

no I didn't. If I am being honest it was probably 50/50 but I had to turn across the front of the car and she thought I was trying to push in front of her and she nudged forward to stop my left turn

Alex Hughes : OK. The first thing the court has to determine is liability, in other words, who's at fault. Obviously, if she's at fault you pay nothing; if you're liable then you pay or, as you've quite rightly pointed out the collision could be determined on a 50/50 basis.
Alex Hughes : Once the issue of liability has been established the court then decides how much should be paid. If the written estimate you have is far less than the claim then I agree that you can challenge the amount.
Alex Hughes : Challenging the value of the claim is not a defence to the allegation - but the other party is only entitled to recover an amount which is fair and reasonable. Remember that although you may have been told £350 by a local garage an insurance company's approved garage might charge more. It's like the difference between going to Joes Bloggs Garage at the top of the road and a proper approved garage. You can ask the insurer for a breakdown of the charges being claimed and look at whether you are actually being ripped off.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the estimate was from exactly the same garage!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the estimate for repair was from the exactly same garage

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Unbelievable! You must challenge this all the way. I agree that it sounds extraordinary that a bill for £350 has jumped to £1,600. So, liability aside, you should challenge the amount involved.