How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My daughter booked a holiday for her daughters18th birthday

This answer was rated:

My daughter booked a holiday for her daughters18th birthday with a friend she had permission off the friends mother to go ahead and book the holiday and she would pay her daughters share.The friend then decided she did not want to go with a loss of £600.00 to my daughter. The mother has refused to pay for her daughters share of the holidays.after many phone calls text messages and 2 letter she has only paid £50.00 and is refusing to pay the rest.
Is there any way my daughter can recoup the rest of the money owed.My daughter is a widow with 3 children and can ill afford to lost this type of money.
Many Thanks *****
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know how old is the daughter?
Alex Watts : how did she pay the £50?
Alex Watts : who consented was it mum or daughter?

my daughter is 45yrs old the friends mother consented to let her go. The mother paid the £50.00 in cash on 13th October and promised to pay every two weeks but has not paid anything else.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Thanks I have already been advised to take her to small claims court how much will this cost is it worth persuing or just write it off as a bad experience.

Alex Watts :

The costs are limited. The fees can be found here:

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Yes it is worth it.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?


I wrote a letter on 18 November telling her that my daughter was going to take her to the small claims court


I wrote a letter on 18 November telling her that my daughter was going to take her to the small claims


She did not answer She has now gone away on holiday for 5weeks

Alex Watts : Ok, so you can issue a claim now. Skip the letter and just issue.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

yes thanks

Alex Watts : Can I help with anything else today ?

Not at the moment thanks for your help.

Alex Watts : Great, if I could ask you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you