How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I bought a Franchise from a UK company called Hotels.TV for

This answer was rated:

I bought a Franchise from a UK company called Hotels.TV for 5000USD in 2013 . I am based in Zimbabwe and the Franchise was for Zimbabwe and Zambia web sites. I did not understand the requirements in terms of time and process and never got sufficent training and the Franchise never took off due to the demanding time and sales efforts required.
After failing to get a refund or permission from the Franchisor to sell the Franchise I asked to be given time to get a person I could employ to perform the time consuming selling efforts to groups and conference organisers. I was recently advised that I was in breech due to the fact that I refused to pay monthly maintenance fees of 200USD per month . I explained that the Franchise was not operational and the Franchise had not generated single booking. When the model is sold one is advised that revenues from the booking cover the costs of the monthly support and maintenance fees. I now notice that the Franchise for Zimbabwe has new agent . What options do I have .
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know if There is a contract and if so which country is it governed by?

The contract under point 23. states that the governing law and jurisdiction is England and Wales.


We have a contract and it is governed by the laws of England and Wales


The Breach that the Franchisor refers to is defined as per the contract as "Support Fee" paid per calendar month to support the website and provide support. I never activated or got any sales from the Zimbabwe and Zambia website and yet they have been charging this fee. Since I have not paid any of it they decided to terminate the contract and not refund me any of my money nor allow me to sell the Franchise. After six months my sites were locked by the Franchisor demanding that I pay the "Support Fee" I asked for this to be waviered until I could get ready to start the operation but the Franchisor refused to make consessions.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


1.I am based in Harare Zimbabwe. When you refer to local County Court you mean the court in the UK or the local court in Zimbabwe? Can I send the form to county court or is my best option issuing proceedings online.

Alex Watts :

Yes Court in the UK.

Alex Watts :

You can do it online and I would suggest you do

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Alex


I just got a problem as follows:


1. The defendant has made a counter claim and is demanding more funds.

2. I received Judgement or Order dated 23 February 2015 by post from the County Court claim number B4QZ7812 it reads " IT IS ORDERED THAT The counterclaim is struck out.

This notice is served pursuant to paragraph 2.5 (2) of the Practice Direction supplementing Part 51 of the Civil Procedure Rules. This order has been made without hearing. The parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.

Then there is a notice of proposed allocation to small claimsTrack

Which says Take notice that

1. This is now a defended claim. The defendant has filed a defence , a copy of which is enclosed. (There was no copy enclosed)

2.It apprears tha case is suitable for allocation to the small claims track.

3. You must by 12 march 2015 complete Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and file it with the court office. I only received the form by post today the 13th March 2015.


What do I do?