How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Car Alarm company damaged van while intsalling alarm.

Customer Question

HI. I gave my van to an alarm company to fit an alarm. when they returned the vehicle I noticed a constant ticking noise from the central locking system. when I gave my vehicle to the dealer they told me that the alarm guys damaged the board. I have spent a total of £500 plus almost 2 days at the dealers back and worth. and 10 days of my van off the road. Estimate worth in total damages of £2000. All I asked from the alarm company was to refit my alarm and credit me £500 that I paid towards additional work. and they refuse to compensate me. Do I have a case to sue them? and if yes how and where can I do that ?

Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-5t4mipn2- :

within 14 days that the damaged was done or within 14 days that I have paid for the damage?

JACUSTOMER-5t4mipn2- :

note that this issue goes back to last april. and I have been arguing with them about that.. when they finally verbally agreed that I should just fix it and they will sort it out then it took me a few more months until I found time to drop the van at the dealer.

JACUSTOMER-5t4mipn2- :

But the van was at the dealer last week and I paid for the damages last week. so that's within 14 days.

Alex Watts :

14 days from now.

Alex Watts :

You have 6 years to bring a claim so don't worry about time

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

JACUSTOMER-5t4mipn2- :

so the "14 days" stands for 14 days from when you send them a request?

JACUSTOMER-5t4mipn2- :

Thanks I think that clarifies it.

Alex Watts : Yes that is it.
Alex Watts : Can I help with anything else today?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: