How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12199
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

i live in Portugal as a uk expat and am owed monies by someone

This answer was rated:

i live in Portugal as a uk expat and am owed monies by someone in the uk. can i still take this person to court in order to try and get the money back even if i live full time in portugal
thank u
Thank you for your question.
Yes, you can. You would sue the person in the court having civil jurisdiction over this person. That is usually the court nearest to where they live.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your time
I have a court appointment in the UK in a few weeks as a claimant and although I live in Portugal I was just worried the defendant may use that as an excuse for non payment
No, there is nothing to stop a litigant from a foreign country from pursuing a British resident.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank u very much
I am also British just living abroad in Portugal . Thanks for putting my mind at rest