How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

My father has recently died, leaving me his flat. Probate has

This answer was rated:

My father has recently died, leaving me his flat. Probate has been granted. No Mortgage. No death duties. Do I have to register flat in my name?? How much should it cost??
Many thanks.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
If the property is not mortgaged and you do not intend to sell, then you do not actually have to do anything at this stage. You may only wish to registered yourself as the legal owner in case you wish to mortgage it or sell it in the future. The cost of transferring the legal title is about £500 plus VAT for a local solicitor plus about £180 upwards in fees depending on the value of the property.
Do you have proof that you are the beneficiary? E.g a will?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you