How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have only just bought a car from CARCRAFT 6 months ago. I

This answer was rated:

I have only just bought a car from CARCRAFT 6 months ago. I have taken it for its first free service and been told the brakes and discs need replacing at a cost of over £220? Is it right that I should complain when my new second hand car needs brakes and discs so soon after purchase?
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did you inspect the car including the break discs before you bought it?
Was the car marketed as being in "good condition"?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't inspect the brakes as I am not qualified to do so. I was told it was in good condition and had their full check done on the vehicle. They say it's wear and tear but I'm sorry, I expect brakes on a car to last longer than 6 months
Thank you.
I am afraid there is not too much you can rely on here, the maxim buyer beware really applies.
However the fact that they sold you the car in "good condition", will be significant. If you can prove that this is what they told you about the car then you may have grounds that they misrepresented to you the condition of the car.
I would write to them and say:
1. This does not fall under wear and tear;
2. You were told the car was in "good condition" - and accordingly the breaks pads would fall under this description;
3. Say that they misrepresented to you the condition of the car and are accordingly liable for the loss you have suffered;
4. Say that if they do not agree to refund you the cost the brake pads you reserve the right to:
(i) Go to Trading Standards
(ii) Make a claim in the County Court for your lose.
Please note it is crucial that they used the words "good condition" or something similar. If they had simply said the car was "road worthy" then a claim is unlikely to be successful.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you