How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Hi. I need advice on the following matter. A holiday company

This answer was rated:

Hi. I need advice on the following matter. A holiday company made a mistake back in febuary on the final payment for a holiday. They under charged me £585 and when i paid the balance i didn't tell them.
Now 10 months later they are demanding the rest of the money. Can they do this and do i have to pay. I took the holiday in may.
regards ***** *****.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Do you have proof that you made the payment?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The holiday company have it on their records that i paid £900 that was asked for. But the holiday should have been £1500ish. They say it was a computer error and now they have done an end of term audit it has been

Flagged up.

Thank you.
What I suggest you do is the following:
1. Write to the company and deny that you owe any monies to this company;
2. Say that you paid the balance in full as requested (and if you have it send them your bank statement to prove it);
3. Say to them that it is a criminal offence to chase someone for money they do not owe under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970;
4. Say that if they do not update their records immediately and confirm that they will not chase you any further (and confirm the same in writing to you) within 7 days you reserve the right to report them to Trading Standards -
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for your reply. I will certainly try this.

My concern is that i would have paid the correct balance when it was due if it was not for thier error. I did take the holiday knowing i had underpaid for it.

Regards ***** *****.

Thank you.
Ultimately you paid up any way so there should not be an issue? The bot***** *****ne is you do not actually owe the money?
Kind regards
Alex J. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you