How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Eden, My daughters 15 year old friend has been fostered but

This answer was rated:

Eden, My daughters 15 yr old friend has been fostered but been predominantly living with us for nearly eight months, her foster carer is very young and is always out drinking and smoking weed, she's not a good role model and does not provide stability. I am becoming more and more concerned about edens welfare.
Eden would like to live with us permanently and will be 16 in 4 months time but she is scared of telling her social worker what's happening because she doesn't want to be put in a care home and at the moment I am not registered to foster. What would happen if she just moved in with us, would social services be aloud to remove her from my care and place her in a home.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you know if there is actually a care order in place or if her parents have simply agreed to her being in Foster care?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her mum has agreed that she can be in foster care, a care order is not in place.
Would her mother agree to her living with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I think she possibly would because we've known her since she was 11 and is my daughters best friend, well more like sisters now to be honest
If the mother will agree to the child living with you then the way forward is relatively straightforward.
You and her mother should if possible speak to Social Services together and she should notify Social Services that she wishes to revoke the S20 and for the child to move to live with you.
They will then have to issue Care Proceedings if they wish to keep the child in care.
If that i snot possible then the young lady should speak to the Independent Reporting Officer and confirm that she wishes to live with you and intends to move when she is 16.
Again if Social Services do not agree then they will have to take action - not likely in the current financial climate
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long would a care order take to process and also if she just moved in at 16 would that be a problem if she didn't have her mothers consent.
A full Care Order would take up to 26 weeks - and given her age her views will be important and it is very likely that she would then be moved to live with you anyway.
It would be easier of her mother consented - but provided you are co-operative with Social Services when they make their enquiries all should be well
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you