How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have been Acquitted in a court of appeal (crown court) Th

Customer Question

I have been Acquitted in a court of appeal (crown court) Th trial in the magistrates court was seriously flawed ! and lasted over a period off 65 days!!! I have been told I can claim costs for the crown court. How do I claim my costs back for the magistrate court ? as these were significantly higher than the crown court costs.
I also completed 150 community service for no reason! how do I claim for that?
I Have been seriously affected by the events with have lasted 11 months ! I am homeless , I have not been able to have contact with my little boy for all this time, Been forced to live in another county ! with significant travel cost to court etc. I was suspended from work all the time and threatened with dismissal if my appeal was not successful!
How Do I claim costs for my life being destroyed?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


As far as the unpaid work and the misery to your life generally you will not be able to claim anything for this. As far as your costs are concerned these are certainly claimable. Were you represented by a solicitor, if so he should have asked for a costs order from central funds in your favour.

JACUSTOMER-8tt6kbwx- :

Yes I was represented by barrister in crown court , through a solicitor who was responsible for magistrate court .They have told me that I can't claim any costs for magistrate court!


Did he give you any reason for this. Was there something about the way you conducted your defence in the magistrates court that prevents you claiming costs?

JACUSTOMER-8tt6kbwx- :

They did not really give a reason ! other than the Judge awarded costs for the crown court and not the magistrate court! they stated I can't claim for magistrates ??


Set out below is the relevant statutory provision.


Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980, s 108

Right of appeal to the Crown Court

108.—(1) A person convicted by a magistrates’ court may appeal to the Crown Court—

(a) if he pleaded guilty, against his sentence;

(b) if he did not, against the conviction or sentence.

(1A) Section 14 of the Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 (under which a conviction of an offence for which an order for conditional or absolute discharge is made is deemed not to be a conviction except for certain purposes) shall not prevent an appeal under this Act, whether against conviction or otherwise.

(2) A person sentenced by a magistrates’ court for an offence in respect of which an order for conditional discharge has been previously made may appeal to the Crown Court against the sentence.

(3) In this section ‘sentence’ includes any order made on conviction by a magistrates’ court, not being—

. . .

(b) an order for the payment of costs;

(c) an order under section 37(1) of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 (which enables a court to order the destruction of an animal); or

(d) an order made in pursuance of any enactment under which the court has no discretion as to the making of the order or its terms

and also includes a declaration of relevance, within the meaning of section 23 of 9 the Football Spectators Act 1989.

(4) Subsection (3)(d) above does not prevent an appeal against a surcharge imposed under section 161A of the Criminal Justice Act 2003.


Subsection (3)(d) rules out the ability to seek an order for costs relating to the hearing at first instance. It seems the advice you have had is right.

JACUSTOMER-8tt6kbwx- :

well in that case I'm willing to go all the way to right this wrong , Who do I take it up with? the attorney general?


I don't think you can take it further.