How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have lived for 14 years with my partner and she left me for

This answer was rated:

I have lived for 14 years with my partner and she left me for another man and they moved together. We have a house which is on my name everything, the mortgage and the deeds. Do i have to pay her anything and where I stand in this situation? Can you advise me, please?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Please confirm that you are not married and that you hold the property in your sole name.
What financial contribution has she made to the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

We are not married and the property is solely on my name. In the past three years she has been contributing with the bills. I always have been paying the bills as I am the top earner in the house.

Hope this will help you.

If you do need any more information, please do ask me.

Kind Regards

How much is the mortgage payment and how much did she pay towards the bills?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

The mortgage is only interest at the moment and is £620.00 p/m and I am paying it. The bills are which she was paying telephone/broadband £35.00 p/m, gas £45.00 p/m, water bill £30.00 p/m. The rest of the bills electricity and council tax I am paying which are £135.00 council tax and £42.00 p/m. She not always have paid the bills by herself some months I have paid them.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

P.S Mainly I have been paying the bills for this 14 year.

Since you were not married and your ex has made no financial contribution to the mortgage or any improvements or alterations then she has no claim on your property at all.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Dose is she entitle for any compensation?

Not if she has not made any payments towards the house no
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about some furniture she has bought?

She is entitled to take anything that she paid for - if you wish to keep it then yes you must pay her for it
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you