How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have recently spent £1377 to return my let property back

This answer was rated:

I have recently spent £1377 to return my let property back to a liveable state, I could have spent a lot more , but kept it as cheap as possible. The tenants went to dispute and because I was given no advice from my agent and indeed they submitted all the evidence I was awarded £68. This was because the photos were not dated and the written evidence did not state that there was no relationship to me. I don't see why the ex tenants, 3 working young men can get away with this. They also set the case between my mother and themselves when my mother has no interest in the property at all. I have been paying my nephew to cut the grass although it was in the contract that the gardens were to be kept decent.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know who awarded the £68 please?

Customer: The adjudicator at my deposits. He wouldn't accept an evidence that was submitted because the photographs were not dated and the written evidence didn't state that there was no relationship between them and me
Alex Watts :

Ok and you now want to pursue it at Court?

Customer: Yes but I would like to go for the whole ammount
Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

However you do run the risk as that this has been adjudicated on already that a claim could be unsuccessful, so I am just warning you

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: The money on line court told me that they won't deal with deposits
Alex Watts :

This is a claim for a debt, which the Courts can deal with.

Alex Watts :

In any event Money Online are not lawyers, they are office staff

Customer: I do have dated photographs and can get proof that there is no relationship between me and the people giving evidence
Alex Watts :

Ok - but I just need to advise there is a risk

Alex Watts :

You can bring a claim of course

Customer: Thank you you have been helpful
Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: No that is great thanks
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you