How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I would like to ask you some advice regarding how I can possibly

This answer was rated:

I would like to ask you some advice regarding how I can possibly obtain a restraining order against my neighbours.
I have had problems with them since April, 2014 and feel that the police have not been able to do much. To make a long story short (and I do not know if you would need more details), the young woman has been approaching me in public places and making scandals, such as telling people I have complaint about her dogs barking, throwing stones in her garden, etc.
They are not my next door neighbours (they are a couple). I live at number 8 and they live at number 10. That means no.9 is in between us.
I do suffer from a long term illness (arthritis).
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


OK. Thx!

LondonlawyerJ :

If the extent of what these people have done is what you have said they have done then this not a crime and the police will not be able to help. Although it is obviously unpleasant having people say untrue and unpleasant things about you I don't think that there is any practical legal remedy for you. In theory you may have an action in defamation but the costs of those sorts of proceedings are ridiculous. I think you are in one of those areas where you are the victim of unpleasant behaviour but on what you have described it is not so bad that either the police or the civil courts will be able to help you.

LondonlawyerJ and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you